Friday, September 21, 2012

Literacy Time Line


  • 2001:  Second Grade:  Mom read me Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. 
  • 2001:  Second Grade:  I saw the first Harry Potter movie and went to my first sleep over afterwards.  This is a very good memory.  It made me want to continue reading the series.
  • 2002:  Third Grade:  I saw the second Harry Potter movie and was scared, so I didn’t want to read it.
  • 2003:  Fourth Grade:  On a long drive, my parents played the Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets audio book on the way, and I realized that the book was not as scary as the movie so I began reading the series again.
  • 2004:  Fifth Grade:  I joined a North Hill Helpers and read to senior citizens at a retirement home.  It was Halloween, so I chose to read my favorite Halloween-themed story:  A Woggle of Witches
  • 2005:  Sixth Grade:  Harry Potter 4 was the last movie my family saw before divorce, so I’ve always really liked this one.
  • 2006:  Seventh Grade:  Harry Potter 5 movie came out and I went to see it with my mom and her new boyfriend, who I did not like, so naturally I did not really like the movie either.
  • 2007:  Eighth Grade:  Seventh and final installment of Harry Potter came out, so I finished the series (it is still one of my favorites)
  • 2008:  Eighth Grade:  My cousin told me there was a book I had to read:  Twilight.  I loved it so much that I read it in three days and hastily did the same for New Moon and Eclipse.
  • 2008:  Summer Before Ninth Grade:  Breaking Dawn came out that summer and even though I was on vacation I managed to get to a bookstore the day that it came out so that I could read it.
  • 2008 - 2009: Summer Before Ninth Grade to Tenth Grade:  Distraught that I had finished reading both Harry Potter and Twilight, I turned to the young adult section of Barnes &Noble and started reading religiously.  I think I read around two hundred books that year.  I made lots of friends this way.
  • I always looked forward to snow days because I would still get up at the time I would for school and I would read all day long.  One day, I read the Complete Collection of Grimm’s Fairy Tales.  It was a little over 600 pages.  I read it in one day.
  • 2009:  Tenth Grade:  I had tested into Honors English, which was a class that required lots of reading.  I read 12 books that year; I hated all of them.  It turned me off of wanting to read for pleasure because I was always reading for school.
  • 2010: Eleventh Grade:  A.P. Literature made me dislike reading for fun just as much as Honors English.
  • 2011:  Twelfth Grade:  I missed enjoying reading, so I opted out of taking A.P. Compositions.  This way I had time to read for fun.  I began adding to my previous collection again.

No comments:

Post a Comment