In Amy Tan’s Mother
Tongue, she discusses how she developed an understanding of the language
through experiencing it in literature. I
find it interesting that she says she uses different language with her mother
than with native-English speakers because she does not want to confuse her
mother. I do the same thing with my
grandmother who is from India. I find
myself speaking slowly and using less complex syntax so that she can keep
up. It is funny that those close to her
do not even notice the transition in her speaking because they are so used to
it. Something I find a little strange is
the way that Tan mentions she understands her mother’s broken English as though
she is speaking like everyone else. I
think that because her mother was so often misunderstood, Tan made it her goal
to help her gain some acceptance and respect in society. Nonetheless, Tan always stayed positive and
eventually discovered her affinity for writing.
No comments:
Post a Comment