Going
into this assignment I felt fairly confident. I had created a well thought out
proposal, and I really feel as though this gave me some clarity when I began
writing the paper. When I was creating the proposal, I made many decisions as
to how I would execute my redesign ideas.
I initially chose to write about the GQ cover advertisement but soon found out that it was not an advertisement
that would work. Because I had already finished writing my topic proposal by
the time I discovered this, I chose a new advertisement that used many of the
same elements so that I could use many of my original ideas.
When I first started planning out my redesign, I thought
of my intended audience. Because it was my goal to sell the same product in a
different way, I had to think about what elements I could change that would
make it appeal more to women. I also had to consider what elements were
necessary to keep because ultimately I did not want to change the company’s
message or image. I started my redesign by changing the model, and once I had a
picture of him in my head, all of the other elements seemed to fall into place.
I
had many concerns in the planning process for my essay. I think that my biggest
concern was that I was not analyzing the rhetoric appeals correctly. It was
difficult for me to make interpretations from looking at the advertisement because
sometimes I felt as though I was looking too far into details. Similarly, I was
concerned with whether or not my redesign would actually be effective for my
intended audience. Eventually, with some tweaking to the initial plan, I feel
that I was able to appeal to women like I wanted.
What
I liked about this assignment was that it gave me the power to be creative. I
love making things look nice, and this project gave me the opportunity to pull
together unlike concepts and connect them to create a uniform message. I liked
that I was creating an advertisement for a product that already exists because
I would not have liked thinking up my own product. I also liked that I had an
original ad to reference when I was creating my own advertisement.
After
this essay, I definitely feel that I have a better understanding of the
rhetoric appeals. I had learned them before, but I had never used them to analyze
a piece of work before. Through the analysis I was able to see through
Smartwater’s pretenses and figure out the message they were trying to convey.
If
I were given a second chance at writing this essay, I might have added more
analysis to my new advertisement. I feel that I analyzed the initial ad
strongly, but by the time I started writing about the new ad, I fear that my
thoughts might have sounded too repetitive. If I were given a chance to go back
and edit my paper, I would probably try to come up with some more original
ideas to analyze the second ad.
No comments:
Post a Comment